List of Projects
Project Sites and Links
Robert Davis Biography
Pell Chafee Performance Center - Trinity Repertory Company
Providence, Rhode Island
CAD rendering: Rachel Kangas, Durkee Brown Viveiros
Trinity Repertory Company operates two vital theaters in downtown
Providence and has one of the most vibrant repertory companies in
the world. They are planning the renovation of a former bank building
about half a block from their current theaters. This new space,
more experimental than either of their existing theaters, would be
used for conservatory work and for repertory productions that would
benefit from the spatial character, relative freedom and smaller size
this hall will offer. Computer renderings allow early visualization
of a complete room even though many aspects of the design are not
final or thoroughly tested.
Aspects of the current planning include:
- Flexible seating with capacities ranging from 200 to 350.
- The bank is partly demolished. The half-demolished appearance
will probably remain as a relic while the new scaffolding is inserted
in a way that hardly touches the existing structure at all.
- Complete new mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems.
- Acoustical work, reducing exterior noise penetration, reducing long reverberation times, reducing late echoes and reducing mechanical
system noise to very low levels.
- Rudimentary support facilities in the basement. Proximity to the
existing offices and other support spaces of Trinity Rep. means this
facility needs to have only the support spaces that are serving
- New traps, new technical galleries, new large professional
lighting system, new pipe grid at a very high elevation to allow
scenery to use the full height of the room.
Architect: Steve Durkee and Sean Redfern of
Durkee Brown Viveiros Werenfels Architects
Acoustician: Jerry Marshall of KMK
List of Projects